Case # 18NF1293
Date: May 7, 2018
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man was charged with a hate crime for making white supremacist comments and throwing a cup at a Middle Eastern smoke shop manager in Anaheim.
Defendant: Robert Kevin Pressler, 54, transient
Charged on May 4, 2018, with the following:
- One felony count of battery – hate crime causing injury
- One misdemeanor count of possession of a controlled substance
Maximum Sentence: Seven years in state prison
Pre-trial hearing on May 14, 2018 at Department N-3, North Justice Center, Fullerton
Circumstances of the Case
- On May 2, 2018, Pressler is accused of standing outside of a smoke shop in Anaheim and repeatedly yelling a phrase associated with white supremacy at the store manager, John Doe, who is Middle Eastern.
- As the victim approached the front entrance of the store, the defendant is accused of walking toward John Doe and throwing a full 32-ounce soda cup at him.
- The cup hit the victim’s face, which caused a small laceration and initiated an altercation between Pressler and John Doe.
- The defendant called the Anaheim Police Department (APD) following the altercation.
- Pressler is further accused of possessing methamphetamine at the time of his arrest by APD.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Devin Campbell, Special Prosecutions Unit.