FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Case # 18NF0534
*Defendant has prior strike conviction for hate crime
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man was charged with hate crimes for yelling racial slurs and using a metal cane to attack a 19-year-old Hispanic man selling flowers on the sidewalk.
Defendant: Daniel Owen Kelley, 57, Transient
Charged today in an amended complaint with one felony count each of:
- Assault with a deadly weapon
- Hate Crime (Assault)
- Sentencing Enhancements:
- Prior strike conviction for committing a hate crime in 2015 in Orange County
- Hate Crime
Maximum Sentence: 16 years in state prison
Pre-trial hearing on April 2, 2018, 8:30 a.m. at Department CCB-1,
Central Justice Center, Santa Ana
Circumstances of the Case
- On Feb. 25, 2018, at approximately 3:26 p.m., Kelley is accused of approaching 19-year-old John Doe, who is Hispanic, as he was selling flowers on the sidewalk near Lincoln Avenue and Beach Boulevard in Anaheim.
- The defendant is accused of kicking over the victim’s bucket of flowers, hitting the victim on his head and back multiple times with a 4-foot metal cane, and yelling racial slurs at John Doe based on his race.
- A concerned citizen contacted 911 to report the incident.
Anaheim Police Department officers responded and arrested Kelley at the scene.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Jess Rodriguez, Special Prosecutions Unit