Support the Anaheim Adopted Marines by getting your car washed at Arco AM/PM located at 301 South Anaheim Blvd. and Broadway in Anaheim on Thursday, Oct. 16, 2014, from 8 am to 5 pm.
All funds will go towards supporting the Marines and Sailors of the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit and their families. For mroe info call 714-637-5575 or go to www.anaheim.net/13thmeu or www.facebook.com/13thmeu.
About the 13th MEU:
History and Background
- On October, 9 2007, the Anaheim City Council formally adopted the 13th MEU, stationed out of Camp Pendleton, in order to show support for the military personnel and their families. This ceremony will honor the traditions and history of the 13th MEU, including a performance by the Marine Corps Air Station Miramar band and the Presentation of Colors by the 13th MEU Color Guard.
- The mission of the Marine adoption program is to support a United States Marine Corps (USMC) unit and their families on an ongoing basis, both when the unit is at home and deployed. In return, the USMC will provide community support by participating in local school programs and various city functions. The goal is to encourage mutually beneficial interaction between the community and military personnel.
- Comprised of approximately 2,200 Marines and Sailors stationed at Camp Pendleton and Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, California, the 13th MEU supports a variety of operations in the Global War on Terrorism.
- On March 29, 2008, the City of Anaheim, the Adoption Committee and the 13th MEU celebrated this partnership with a formal adoption ceremony. The ceremony honored the traditions and history of the 13th MEU, including a performance by the Marine Corps Air Station Miramar band and the Presentation of Colors by the 13th MEU Color Guard. To view the entire ceremony, please click here.
- In 2008, the 13th MEU Adoption Committee established a Board to provide leadership and guidance with ongoing and future activities to support the families of the 13th MEU.Anaheim Adoption Committee Board Members:
Carolyn Thomas Walters – Chair/Founder
Debbie Boulanger – Vice Chair/Secretary
Robert Garoutte – Treasurer
Jerry Zomorodian – All American Petroleum Corporation-President
Greg Garcia, City of Anaheim – Deputy City Manager
Sally Feldhaus – Community Leader
Diane Killeen – Disneyland Resort
Richard Farace – Business Management Consultant
Doreen Job – Marine Parent
Additional Committee Members:
Dale and Ruby Parry
Teri Murphy Fernandez
To learn more about joining the 13th MEU Adoption Committee or how you can support the 13th MEU please click here.