Residents of the Centralia School District gathered 825 signatures and successfully petitioned to remove appointed Centralia School District Trustee Kevin Sequeira from office. These were almost double the 434 verified signatures of registered voters that were required, which is 1.5% of the registered voters from the 2012 general election. Source: Registrar of Voters.
Three applicants applied for the appointment: former Trustee Cristi Woodward, and former candidates Kevin Sequeira and Ashi Kothary. Source: July 17th agenda, page 2.
The vote by the Central School Board on June 17, to appoint a Trustee to fill a vacancy concluded after 5 re-votes. Appointment required a unanimous vote by the Board of three Trustees (Trustee Salts was absent). If no consensus was made, a special election would have been forced – at a cost estimated at $99,864 by the Registrar of Voters.
Sequeira was removed from the School Board on the basis of his lack of attendance of Board meetings and his controversial quotes on education:
1. Childhood Obesity is Not a School Issue: “The primary cause of childhood obesity is poor eating habits at home and lack of exercise, both of which are the parents’ responsibility.”
2. Require Student to Earn Subsidized Lunches: “The district and state will help those who truly cannot afford to provide breakfast and lunch for their children, but they in turn need to understood that this is a gift. It is and will always be the parents’ responsibility to provide food for their children. Families need to develop a life plan, so that they might be the last generation to need continuous government assistance.”
3. Reduce Government Provided School Transportation and Classroom Disruption: “It is the parents’ responsibility to ensure that their kids are at school on time and ready to learn so as not to be disruptive to the teacher or other classmates.”
4. Class-size Reduction Should Not Be a Priority: “Smaller classroom sizes are better for learning but cost more.”
5. Eliminate CA Teacher Union influence in education: “The CA Teacher Union pays for [trash education] and they wonder why they get a bad reputation (unions that is). If [Union propaganda] ends up being taught in anyone’s kids’ school they better be ready for one hell of a backlash.
6. Do not implement the CA Transgender Bathroom law: “The California Transgender Bathroom law takes effect January 1. I see no NEED for someone who feels transgender to use the bathrooms and showers of the opposite sex. Parents need to stand up.”
7. Do not teach based on culture: “If we want our children to grow up without racial and ethnic biases, why do we have these questions on every school form? What ever happened to the UNITED States of America?” [Source: Flyer used during signature gathering]
Sequeira posted a rebuttal to these charges on Facebook, here. He alleges that the quotes were taken out of context and were in part made up by someone.
Current Centralia School District Candidate Art Montez openly supported and began the petition’s efforts. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org and 714.914.3154
Chief Petitioners can be contacted at centraliaanonymous@gmail. com.
Source: Centralia School District Appointment Made
http://centralia-ca. schoolloop.com/file/ 1346930044996/1370800377398/ 3037162751771658879.pdf
Source: Kevin Sequeira removed from Board Trustee page
Source: Registrar of Voters Signature Verification Completed http://www.ocvote. com/datacentral/?tab=petitions
Source: Registrar of Voters, Page 36 “Appointed to Vacancy” in changed to “Vacant,” Page 37 “Appointed Incumbent” ballot designation forcefully changed to “Parent/Engineer”
http://www.ocvote.com/ fileadmin/user_upload/data/ candlog/candlog.pdf