On July 21, 2012 Anaheim police murdered Manuel Diaz while he was surrendering and following police orders. He was shot in the head in front of his community. In response to the outrageous (and common) murder, community members began peaceful gathering outside their homes. The Anaheim police responded with extreme violence, unleashing attack dogs and shooting life-threatening munitions on babies, small children, elderly and everybody in range.
The video of the cowardly attack was quickly seen by millions worldwide, sparking emergency protests at the Anaheim Police Headquarters. On July 22, the Anaheim police murdered Joel Acevedo, further stoking the anger in the community. In the following days, thousands of people rose up against the scourge of police violence. Historic protests shook Anaheim for days. Though ultimately the city heavily militarized the police to repress the movement with violence and intimidation, it brought the struggle against police brutality to a national stage, and laid the foundations for future struggle.
Now, on the 1 year anniversary of the murder of Manuel Diaz (which set of this chain of events), scores of families of police brutality victims (including the mothers of Manuel Diaz and Joel Acevedo) are calling on people of conscious all over California to unite for a mass march in Anaheim. Only a people’s movement can turn the tide against the epidemic of police brutality.
Statewide Unity March – July 21, 2012, at 1 pm at Anaheim City Hall, located at 200 S. Anaheim Blvd, in Anaheim.
Click here to learn more about this action: http://www.answercoalition.org/la/events/1-year-after-anaheim-socal.html
Click here to download a PDF of a printable leaflet to help us spread the word:
Full sheet: http://www.answercoalition.org/la/assets/images/anaheim-flyer.pdf
Half sheet: http://www.answercoalition.org/la/assets/images/anaheim-half-sheet.pdf
Click here to endorse as an individual or organization: http://www2.answercoalition.org/site/Survey?ACTION_REQUIRED=URI_ACTION_USER_REQUESTS&SURVEY_ID=10880
Click here to read the personal appeal from the mothers of Manuel Diaz and Joel Acevedo, murdered by Anaheim PD last July: http://www.answercoalition.org/la/news/a-letter-from-the-mothers-of.html
Click here to make a donation to help make this event a success: https://secure2.convio.net/pep/site/Donation2?df_id=1445&1445.donation=form1&JServSessionIdr004=ab4y6kj2u5.app209a
Los Angeles: Call 323-810-3380 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Bay Area: Call 415-821-6545 or email email@example.com
San Diego: Call 619-508-6756 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Family of Manuel Diaz (murdered by Anaheim police on July 21, 2012);
- Family of Joel Acevedo (murdered by Anaheim police on July 22, 2012);
- Family of Jeremy Marks (shot by LAPD on May 8, 2013);
- Family of Martin Angel Hernandez (murdered by Anaheim police on Mar. 6, 2012);
- Family of Jose de la Trinidad (murdered by Willowbrook police on Nov. 10, 2012);
- Family & friends of Mike Nida (murdered by Downey police on Oct. 22, 2011);
- Elizabeth Bustamante and John Cabrera (shot by Long Beach police on Jan. 26, 2011);
- Family of Andres Avila (murdered by Pomona police on Oct. 16, 2011);
- Family of Doug Zerby (murdered by Long Beach police on Dec. 12, 2010);
- Family of Caesar Ray Cruz (murdered by police in Fullerton on Dec. 11, 2009);
- Family of James W Moore (murdered by Kern County Sheriff in 2005);
- Family of Justin Hertl (murdered by Anaheim police, Nov. 14, 2003);
- Family of Marcel Ceja (murdered by Anaheim police, Nov 4, 2011);
- Family of Tony Francis (murdered by Bellflower Sheriffs, Aug. 24, 2012);
- Family of Javier Arrazola (murdered by West Valley LAPD, Oct. 1, 2012);
- Family of Roscoe Cambridge (murdered by Anaheim police, Jan. 19, 2012);
- Family of David Raya (murdered by Anaheim police, Aug. 16, 2011);
- Family of Joe Whitehouse (murdered by Anaheim police, July 16, 2007);
- Family of Ernest Duenez, Jr. (murdered by Manteca police, June 8, 2011);
- Family of David Silva (murdered by Kern County deputies, May 7, 2013);
- Family of Jason Bitz (murdered by off-duty Santa Ana police officer, Oct. 31, 2011);
- Family of Marcel Luis Ceja (Murdered by ANaheim Police officer David Garcia, Nov.4, 2011);
- Family of Ismael Lopez (Murdered by Long Beach police, Aug. 26, 2011)
- Family of Rigoberto Arceo (murdered on LA County Sheriff’s deputy in Cudahy, CA on May 11, 2013);
- Family of Steven Bours (murdered by Downey Police on March 20, 2010);
- Mother of Kenneth Harding (murdered by SFPD on July 16, 2011);
ANSWER Coalition; United Survivors of Anaheim; National Lawyers Guild – LA; Jeremy Marks Defense Committee; Long Beach Campaign to Stop Police Violence, Nida’s Rydas; Women Organized to Resist and Defend (WORD); KmB Pro-People Youth; March Forward!; Party for Socialism and Liberation; Worker Student Alliance (UC Irvine); Kenneth Harding Foundation; and more.
For more information call 323-810-3380 or email email@example.com.