Case # 14NF3175
Date: May 11, 2018
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man was sentenced to life in state prison without the possibility of parole today for the special circumstances drive-by shooting murder of a man on the 91 Freeway.
Defendant: David Arzate Cabrera, 49, Anaheim
Found guilty by a jury on Jan. 24, 2018, of the following felony counts:
- First degree murder
- Possession of narcotics for sale
- Possession of a firearm by a felon
- Personal discharge of a firearm causing death
- Special circumstances murder by drive-by shooting
Sentence: Life in state prison without the possibility of parole
Circumstances of the Case
- At approximately 8:00 p.m. on July 14, 2014, Cabrera was driving a black Nissan westbound on the 91 Freeway in Anaheim.
- The defendant drove up next to a Ford F-150 pickup truck and shot at the passenger side window of the truck, where 32-year-old victim Agustin Villegas was seated.
- At the time of the crime, the victim’s brother-in-law was driving Villegas’ vehicle and the victim’s13-year-old son and 15-year-old nephew were in the back seat.
- The defendant murdered Villegas by shooting him in the head and fled the scene. The victim and the defendant did not know each other.
Anaheim Police Department (APD) officers responded and located a .357 shell casing.
- On July 15, 2014, a witness contacted the Orange County Sheriff’s Department to report additional information.
- APD arrested Cabrera on July 31, 2014. At the time of his arrest, the defendant possessed approximately one pound of cocaine inside his residence and a .357 semi-automatic handgun inside his black Nissan.
- The Orange County Crime Lab conducted forensic analysis and determined the shell casing located on the 91 freeway on July 14, 2014, was fired from the defendant’s .357 semi-automatic handgun.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Steve McGreevy, Homicide Unit.