FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 23, 2018
Case # 14WF0218
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man was convicted yesterday of attacking five women, including stabbing, kidnapping, and attempting to murder victims, during a 5-hour crime spree in Anaheim and Garden Grove.
Defendant: Ulises Omar De La Torre, 36, Buena Park
Found guilty by a jury on March 22, 2018, of following felony counts:
- Attempted murder
- Kidnapping to commit a sex offense
- (2) Torture
- (2) Assault with the intent to commit a sexual offense
- Assault with the intent to commit a sexual offense in the commission of first degree burglary
- First degree burglary
- Sentencing Enhancements:
- Great bodily injury
- Great bodily injury to a sexual assault victim
- Use of a deadly weapon during sex offense
- Prior strike conviction for attempted murder and street terrorism
Maximum Sentence: 237 years to life in state prison
Sentencing: May 18, 2018, 9:00 a.m. at Department C-36, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana
Circumstances of the Case
- On Jan. 16, 2014, De La Torre attacked five women within a short distance of one another in Anaheim and Garden Grove between approximately 5:15 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.
- At approximately 5:15 p.m., the defendant passed Jane Doe 1 as she was walking home from work in Garden Grove and attempting to engage her in conversation.
- De La Torre repeatedly beat the victim in the back of the head with his fist and attempted to pull down the victim’s pants. He then fled the scene.
Prior to Jane Doe 2’s arrival home at 7:15 p.m., the defendant entered the victim’s residence.
- De La Torre grabbed Jane Doe 2 as she entered her house and stabbed the victim in the arm and back as she struggled.
Jane Doe 2’s boyfriend walked inside the home and De La Torre fled the scene.
- At 7:50 p.m., Jane Doe 3 and Jane Doe 4 were in the hallway of their Anaheim hotel attempting to enter their room. De La Torre attempted to force his way into the room when the victims opened the door.
- The defendant stabbed the victims in the head, face, and arms, then fleeing the scene.
- At approximately 9:00 p.m., De La Torre passed Jane Doe 5 while she was jogging in Garden Grove. The victim noticed a person following her and turned around.
- The defendant punched her in the face, knocked her down, and repeatedly assaulted her while pulling at her clothes. De La Torre then fled the scene.
- De La Torre was arrested on Jan. 18, 2014 after the Anaheim Police Department and Garden Grove Police Department investigated this case and identified the defendant.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Bobby Taghavi, Sexual Assault Unit.