Case # 14WF0218
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man is scheduled to face trial tomorrow for attacking five women, including stabbing, kidnapping, and attempting to murder victims, during a 5-hour crime spree in Anaheim and Garden Grove.
Defendant: Ulises Omar De La Torre, 36, Buena Park
Charged initially on Jan. 21, 2014, and in an amended complaint on March 3, 2016, with the following felony counts:
- Attempted murder
- Kidnapping to commit a sex offense
- (2) Torture
- (2) Assault with the intent to commit a sexual offense
- (2) Assault with the intent to commit a sexual offense in the commission of first degree burglary
- Sentencing Enhancements
- Great bodily injury
- Great bodily injury to a sexual assault victim
- Use of a deadly weapon during sex offense
Maximum Sentence: 251 years to life in state prison
Jury trial opening statements on March 7, 2018, 9:00 a.m. at Department C-36, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana
Circumstances of the Case
- On Jan. 16, 2014, De La Torre is accused of attacking five women within a short distance of one another in Anaheim and Garden Grove between approximately 5:15 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.
- At approximately 5:15 p.m., the defendant is accused of passing Jane Doe 1 as she walked home from work in Garden Grove and attempting to engage her in conversation.
- De La Torre is accused of repeatedly beating the victim in the back of the head with his fist and attempting to pull down the victim’s pants. He is accused of fleeing the scene.
- Prior to Jane Doe 2’s arrival home at 7:15 p.m., the defendant is accused of entering the victim’s home.
- De La Torre is accused of grabbing Jane Doe 2 as she entered her house and stabbing the victim in the arm and back as she struggled.
- Jane Doe 2’s boyfriend walked inside the home and De La Torre is accused of fleeing the scene.
- At 7:50 p.m., Jane Doe 3 and Jane Doe 4 were in the hallway of their Anaheim hotel attempting to enter their room. De La Torre is accused of attempting to force his way into the room when the victims opened the door.
- The defendant is accused of stabbing the victims in the head, face, and arms, then fleeing the scene.
- At approximately 9:00 p.m., De La Torre is accused of passing Jane Doe 5 while she was jogging in Garden Grove. The victim noticed a person following her and turned around.
- The defendant is accused of punching her in the face, knocking her down, and continuing to repeatedly assault her while pulling at her clothes. De La Torre is accused of fleeing the scene.
- De La Torre was arrested on Jan. 18, 2014 after the Anaheim Police Department and Garden Grove Police Department investigated this case and identified the defendant.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Bobby Taghavi, Sexual Assault Unit