ORANGE COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY NEWS RELEASE
Case # 17NF1330
Date: May 19, 2017
*Law enforcement seeking additional witnesses
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man is scheduled to be arraigned today for the special circumstances stabbing-murders of two homeless men in Anaheim three months apart.
Defendant: Marvin Magallanes, 25, Anaheim
- Two felony counts of murder
- Sentencing Enhancements
- Special circumstances – Multiple murders
- Personal use of a knife
Minimum Sentence: Life in state prison without the possibility of parole
Court Date, Arraignment: May 19, 2017, time to be determined @ Department CJ-1, Central Jail, Santa Ana
Circumstances of the Case
- On Oct. 27, 2016, Magallanes is accused of stabbing 52-year-old Onosai Tavita, a homeless man, on Euclid Street in Anaheim.
- The victim was found dead as a result of multiple stab wounds in the early morning, and a suspect was not immediately identified or located during the Anaheim Police Department (APD) investigation.
- On Jan. 25, 2017, the defendant is accused of stabbing 49-year-old Sabah Alsaad, also a homeless man, to death on South Magnolia Avenue in the early morning.
- APD investigated and collected forensic evidence, but the case remained unsolved.
- On May 12, 2017, Magallanes is accused of speaking with APD officers at the front counter, who connected the defendant with Alsaad’s murder and arrested him at the station.
APD used forensic evidence from both crime scenes to link the defendant to both murders.
The APD and the Orange County District Attorney’s Office encourage anyone who may have witnessed these or similar crimes to contact Orange County Crime Stoppers at 855-TIP-OCCS, or by email at http://occrimestoppers.org.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Eric Scarbrough, Homicide Unit
TONY RACKAUCKAS, District Attorney
Susan Kang Schroeder, Chief of Staff
Michelle Van Der Linden,Spokesperson