By: O.C. Supervisor Lisa Bartlett
In honor of the 60th Diamond Anniversary Celebration, Disneyland Resort is proud to launch the Disneyland Resort Dreamers & Doers program. Deeply rooted in Disney’s commitment to supporting youth and the community, Disneyland Resort Dreamers & Doers celebrates the power of possibility and the youth who take action to improve their community, home or school.
The Disneyland Resort strives to drive positive change through four focus areas: Live Healthier, Strengthen Community, Conserve Nature and Think Creatively. We invite Orange County high school students to share their stories of how they are taking action for a brighter tomorrow in these four focus areas:
- Conserve Nature: Connect children and families with nature to build lifelong conservation values. Live Healthier: Make healthier living fun and accessible.
- Think Creatively: Nurture creative thinking skills to inspire children and families to create the future they imagine.
- Live Healthier: Make healthier living fun and accessible.
- Strengthening Community: Bring hope, happiness, and comfort to children and families.
Each Orange County high school will select their “Dreamer & Doer” who will have the opportunity to win prizes, including money for their school.
Here is how it works . . .
- To apply, verify your school’s participation and application submission process
- Submit a completed application to your high school’s main office by November 20, 2015
- Each Orange County high school will select their “Dreamer & Doer” by completing an online application
Student applications can be downloaded from the website September 8, 2015- November 20, 2015.
Here is what you can win . . .
- Each student nominated by their school will be recognized as a “Dreamer & Doer” and receive (2) 1-Day Park-Hopper tickets
- From the nominated group of “Dreamers and Doers”, 60 students will be identified as “Shining Stars” and invited to attend a Celebration Luncheon along with two family members and a representative from their school
- To inspire fellow students to make their school a better place, each of the 60 students selected as “Shining Stars” will receive a $1,000 grant for their school, as well as a Dreamers & Doers medal of recognition
- Six “Luminaries” will be selected to receive a Disneyland Resort weekend prize package to enjoy with their families
- Additional surprises will be announced at the Celebration luncheon
Inspire a Brighter Tomorrow . . .
In our stories we find the inspiration to envision a brighter tomorrow and the aspiration to make dreams come true. There are no limits to where creativity and imagination can take us! By inspiring creativity in young people today, we hope to ignite the spark of innovation that leads us all to a brighter tomorrow.
As part of our commitment to inspire youth to take action in creating a brighter tomorrow, we will host a one-day Dreamers & Doers Symposium for all 60 “Shining Stars” to discuss issues that affect youth, and create solutions that they can implement in their school and community.
- Be a resident of Orange County, California
- Currently attend an Orange County public, private or charter high school
- Must be in good academic and character standing, as verified by the school
- Submit a completed application by the deadline
- Submit a signed FORM OF AUTHORIZATION TO USE LIKENESS, VOICE AND/OR WRITTEN CORRESPONDENCE
- Students can only be nominated once during their high school career
Instructions for Orange County High Schools
- Nominate up to two students from your high school as “Dreamers & Doers” by completing the online application
- Confirm that students meets all of the Eligibility Criteria
Instructions for Orange County High Schools to register will be available on August 5, 2015
Get Involved Now, Be in Our Program Video
Students interested in applying to become a Dreamer & Doer this fall are encouraged to get involved and make a difference, and even showcase how they are making an impact by submitting videos of their work in action. Select videos will then be part of a final video highlighting the program, which will be shown on the Disney Parks Blog and various other social media channels.
Video submissions must:
- Be between one and two minutes in length and less than 8MB in size.
- Include the statement “I Dream…” to describe what the student dreams the world could look like given the work they do in their community. (For example, a student who serves by supporting a local food bank might say: “I dream that everyone will have access to the nutrition they need, so I collect food donations for my local food bank.”)
- Showcase the student’s work in their community, home or school.
- Be in a .mov, .mp4 or .webm file format.
- Be filmed in a horizontal landscape (if using a cell phone to record).
- Upload the completed video and “Consent and Release” forms on or before August 16, 2015.
**Students submitting videos must also submit a signed “Consent and Release” form from each individual appearing in the video. Download the form.
Submit your video here.
- August 16, 2015: Video submissions due
- September 8, 2015: Student Application opens
- November 20, 2015: Student Applications due to high school for review
- December 11, 2015: “Dreamer & Doer” Nominations due to Disneyland Resort
- January 2016: “Shining Star” recipients notified
- February 2016: “Shining Star” Celebration Luncheon
- Spring 2016: Dreamers & Doers Symposium
For more information contact Disneyland Resort Corporate Citizenship at: DLR.Corporate.Citizenship@disney.com.