A new website is pounding Orange County Supervisor Janet Nguyen, the Republican nominee for the 34th State Senate District, over her unethical behavior, wasting of taxpayer money and her blatant nepotism.
Here is a rundown of the website’s charges:
Janet Nguyen was named the Most Corrupt Supervisor in Orange County.1 Before you vote this Nov. 4, take a look at the numbers. Janet Nguyen just doesn’t add up for us.
$136,000 – Janet Nguyen has spent $136,000 of our taxpayer money on office furniture. Days after being sworn into her Board of Supervisors office in 2007, she upgraded her personal office with track lighting and a $6,000 desk.2 Her constituents were left picking up the tab.
$73,000 Janet Nguyen kept her sister, Diane, on the county payroll as her executive assistant. Diane was paid about $73,000 but only worked 22 hours a week in the office.3
6 INVESTIGATIONS – Janet Nguyen has been at center of six ethics and corruption investigations by FBI, District Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office, IRS, Fair Political Practices Commission and Orange County Grand Jury.4
2 VOTES – Janet Nguyen twice voted to reject a grand jury proposal for an independent ethics commission to keep an eye on county government. The grand jury found that Orange County lacks effective ethics oversight of its public officials.5
1. OC Politics Blog, July 27, 2013
2. Orange County Register, “New supervisors redo offices, back off luxury,” August 19, 2007
3. Orange County Employee Salary Information; Orange County Register, “Supervisor’s aide clocked in just 13 hours a week,” April 26, 2013
4. L.A. Times, “Federal Task Force to Investigate Corruption in Orange County”, July 26, 2013; Orange County Register, “GOP Eyes 34th Senate District,” May 25, 2014; 2012-2014 Orange County Grand Jury Reports
5. Voice of OC, “Supervisors Officially Reject Grand Jury Report and Ethics Panel,” June 26, 2013; Orange County Register, “Board of Supervisors rejects ethics oversight proposal again,” September 16, 2014